A large portion of my job involves creating, updating, and analyzing spreadsheets. I am the weird portion of the population who actually enjoys spreadsheets.
I was surfing the web Friday night and saw a conversation on Twitter about marketing attribution and tracking.
💡 – Lightbulb moment. I should create a real estate marketing scorecard template for investors to swipe and use.
I already maintain a scorecard for my day job, it wouldn’t be hard to implement the same format we use at Carrot for our KPIs and scorecard.
I am looking to ship a lot of projects in 2021 and am looking to uplevel my shipping abilities leading into next year.
Step 1 – Buy a domain name
Lucky for me reiscorecard.com was available. I purchased this domain name and started working on the spreadsheet.
Step 2 – Create the real estate marketing scorecard spreadsheet
This spreadsheet took me about 3 hours to design, configure the formulas, and add some conditional formatting. Here is what is included in the spreadsheet
- Documentation on how to use it
- KPIs tab for raw data
- Scorecard view to show you monthly calculations around ROI and revenue actuals to targets
- Dashboard view which shows you month over month results in graphs
- A sheet with some dummy data that I can use to make visuals and show proof of concept with marketing efforts
- An automation tab – no work was completed here yet but I have plans to connect the Google Analytics add-on in Google Sheets and play around with the functionality.
Step 3 – Make a landing page
I copied some code from another project (stratdocs.io) to make a very simple landing page. The intent of this landing page is to position the spreadsheet in the right way and give clear instructions on how to download and use it.
I decided to put this behind an opt-in so I can market to these leads later.
For the opt-in form and confirmation email, I used a free Mailchimp account. I have the redirect going to a thank you page and have some conversion tracking happening there.
I also installed Google Analytics (I want to switch to Fathom Analytics if this project gains some traction).
Google Analytics has changed a ton and this slowed me down a little bit. I will probably leave it half configured for now so I can ship early and often.
A quick note on
Although it’s not required for this simple project, I really enjoy making brand marks and improving my design skills. Below is the simple brand mark I am launching with.
Step 4 – Marketing the landing page
This is where I generally struggle with my side projects. It’s time to punch fear in the face and put myself out there. Here is how I plan to market my mini-project
- Publish this blog post
- Find an organic way to drop the link in a sub reddit
- Tweet the link on my personal twitter page
- Use one of my Facebook groups and ask if they see value in the spreadsheet
- Post on BiggerPockets about scorecards and tracking and see what others use.
I will circle back to this post and update everyone with the results of my mini-project and marketing efforts.
Assuming REIScorecard.com gets traction I want to use this spreadsheet template in conjunction with the Google Analytics add-on and automatically send the data into a spreadsheet that I embed on this blog post and the REIScorecard.com website. I think all projects should be eat their own dog food.
Join The Newsletter
Get occasional emails from me when I publish new projects and articles.